The newly appointed Chief of Staff to the President is in no doubt an erudite scholar with great achievements.
Before his appointment into office by President Mohammadu Buhari on Tuesday, May 12, 2020, political stakeholders have predicted so many dignitaries to take on the baton from the late Abba Kyari.
These are some great facts you should know about the chiefs of Staff to the President, Prof Ibrahim Gambari;
- He was the first Under-Secretary- General of the United Nations.
- He was former Nigeria’s Minister of External Affairs between 1984 and 1985.
- He was the President of the Executive Board of UNICEF in 1999.
- He is from Kwara State.
- On March 4, 2013, Ibrahim Gambari was named by the Kwara State Governor, AbdulFatah Ahmad, as the pioneer Chancellor of the Kwara State University, KWASU, making him the ceremonial head of the university who presides over convocations to award degrees and diplomas and also supports the vision and mission of the university in all respects, including fundraising, social, economic and academic goals.
- He is currently the Founder/Chairman of the Savannah Centre.
- He was the former Head of the UN Mission in Angola and Nigeria’s Permanent Representative to the United Nations in New York.
- Gambari attended King’s College, Lagos. He subsequently attended the London School of Economics where he obtained his B.Sc. (Economics) degree(1968) with specialization in International Relations.
- He later obtained his M.A. (1970) and Ph. D. (1974) degrees Columbia University, New York, USA in Political Science /International Relations.
- He taught at Ahmadu Bello University, Zaria, Kaduna State.