Prosecutors in Las Vegas say that Juventus star Cristiano Ronaldo will not face criminal charges over allegations he raped a woman at a Las Vegas hotel in 2009.
After reviewing a police investigation into the claims, Clark County district attorney Steve Wolfson said on Monday there is not enough evidence to prove the allegations beyond reasonable doubt, and no charges will be filed.
“Based upon a review of the information presented at this time, the allegations of sexual assault against Cristiano Ronaldo cannot be proven beyond a reasonable doubt. Therefore, no charges will be forthcoming,” Wolfson said in a statement.
Ronaldo’s accuser Kathryn Mayorga, who came forward with her story last year, has filed a separate civil lawsuit against the footballer in US federal court. She claims the Portugal star initially used “fixers” to stop her pursuing criminal charges, including paying her $375,000 to keep quiet. Ronaldo’s lawyer, Peter Christiansen, has not denied his client reached an agreement nine years ago with Mayorga, who says she came forward with her story in the wake of the #MeToo movement.