No fewer than five persons were electrocuted while trying to mount a billboard in the Obiri-Ikwerre area of Rumuosi in the Obio/Akpor Local Government Area of the Rivers State on Monday.
Also, four others who received life-threatening burns are currently battling for their lives at the University of Port Harcourt Teaching Hospital where they were rushed to for treatment.
The PUNCH gathered that the billboard, a major outdoor advertisement with a metal frame, reportedly touched a high-tension cable, thereby causing a spark.
The nine men were said to have lifted the gigantic structure when its metal component touched the cable and immediately conducted an electric current.
The electric current gripped and shocked five of them to death while four others were said to be in critical condition.
The victims were said to be private businessmen contracted to mount the billboard for a new generation church.
When contacted, the spokesperson for the state Police Command, Grace Iringe-Koko, confirmed the incident, describing it as unfortunate.
She said, “Yes, we are aware. It is very unfortunate. Investigation is ongoing to ascertain what really happened. “